On 12 and 13 September 2019 'Travel to Tomorrow - Growing Forward Together' will take place in Bruges. This summit brings together entrepreneurs, opinion and policy makers and policy supporters around pressing, contemporary questions and challenges in the tourism sector. A varied mix of keynotes, workshops, experience sessions and (digital) interviews provides each participant with interactive opportunities to be inspired by the transforming power of tourism and grow professionally. Flemish and international top speakers link the theoretical framework to practical examples and issues of great touristic, but also broad social relevance. A must-visit event for everyone who wants to contribute in an innovative, sustainable way to a future proof tourism!
Are you ready to make a difference in the tourism industry?
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
Fascinating guest speakers, international and from Flanders
From thought leaders to academics, from policy makers to supporters and entrepreneurs active in day-to-day practice. ‘Travel to Tomorrow’ brings together established names and new faces in the tourism industry at a unique event, carefully curated by author and change agent Anna Pollock and host Michel Vandendriessche (Managing Director, Pasar).
All sessions will be translated, so both international and Flemish people can participate in the summit.
Inspiring practical examples and success cases
‘Travel to Tomorrow’ offers more than a new conceptual framework for thinking about tourism. Contemporary issues, in the context of a rapidly changing context, are viewed from different angles. Organisations, companies and communities explain how they experiment in practice with various forms of a future proof tourism that make the local communities and their place flourish. For example, we will be working on the activities developed in Flanders as a result of the commemoration of WWI and we will show how a (cultural) tourism approach can have a much broader and deeper social impact than first realised.
Connecting to the broad sector
More than ever, tourism is an interdisciplinary issue embedded in the fabric and infrastructure of our society and economy. The ‘Travel to Tomorrow’ summit offers opportunities to connect and collaborate with people from different sectors. Expand your horizons and be inspired by the surprising perspectives, questions and solutions of the other participants and forge new plans for the future together.
Interactive work sessions and atypical activities
In addition to the keynote sessions, the summit offers wide range of inspiration sessions and local activities. We create unexpected contexts that will stimulate dialogue between strangers and catalyse development of fresh perspectives and insights. In a variety of workshops topics like mobility, inclusivity, entrepreneurship, events, congresses, stories and flourishing communities will be discussed.
More about Tourism Transforms
The experience of travelling changes travellers, places they visit, people and local communities who 'make' and inhabit these places. Tourism is therefore more than economics. We want to investigate and give shape to that 'more' in the ‘Tourism Transforms’ programme. How can we stimulate this 'more' so that all those involved in the tourism system derive maximum benefit from it? All the activities that take place within the framework of this project are brought together under the umbrella of ‘Travel to Tomorrow’, of which the summit on 12 and 13 September 2019 in Bruges will be a key milestone on our journey.
Thursday 12 - Friday 13 September 2019.
Kapucijnenkerk, Klokstraat, 8000 Bruges, Belgium.
Sint-Godelieveabdij, Boeveriestraat 41, 8000 Bruges, Belgium.
Both locations can be reached easily by train. So leave the car at home and we’ll provide you with a warm welcome at the train station in Bruges.
The ticket price (incl. VAT) is 181,5 euro for the 2-day program (including the dinner on Thursday evening) or 75 euro for the inspiring citytrip with guest speakers and dinner on Thursday evening.
Limited number of tickets, so be quick.
Do you want to spend the night in Bruges? Book your hotel via this link.
We are currently working hard on creating a line-up of inspiring speakers who will provide hands-on sessions on various aspects of the transformational power of tourism. These sessions will cover a wide range of topics such as community initiatives and interactions, entrepreneurship, sustainability and tourism policies. We want the participants to reflect upon what is being said and done during the summit in a creative manner. Our goal is to offer a program filled with activities which facilitates this reflection and make it happen.
The complete line-up will soon be available on this webpage and can also be found on Facebook.
Thursday 12 September 2019
- 9h30: Travel to Tomorrow – Why we are rethinking the future of tourism? (hostess Anna Pollock and host Michel Vandendriessche).
- 10h00−11h15: Tourism in a Transformative Economy - Keynote by Daniel Wahl (author of Designing Regenerative Cultures) & video interview with Kate Raworth (author of Doughnut Economics).
- 11h15−12h30: Travel to Tomorrow - Best practices and inspiring case studies in Flanders and abroad.
- 13h30−13h45: Flemish Minister of Tourism on the future of the industry.
- 13h45−14h30: Flourishing/Thriving: Why, What and How - Michelle Holliday (author of The Age of Thrivability).
- 14h30−15h30: Thinking differently, doing differently - Workshops (free choice): (1) Mobility, (2) Inclusivity and accessibily, (3) Events (4) Congresses, (5) Powerful stories, (6) Accomodations, (7) Tourist products, experiences and services, (8) Entrepreneurs and investors, (9) Encounters of locals and visitors, (10) Flourishing communities and destinations.
- 16h00−16h45: Generating Net Benefit & Increasing Value Community by Community - Rob Hopkins (author and representative of TransitionNetwork.org).
Photograph: Van Acker, P. (2018, March 18). Kapucijnen church, Bruges.
Thursday evening 12 September: Inspirational networking dinner with renowned speakers
- 18h45−19h30: Welcome.
- 19h30−21h30: Interactive sessions with renowned speakers at unique locations in the city centre of Bruges. Participants can choose between five programs. During this workshop we will provide a thematic dinner experience and lots of networking opportunities with colleagues in the tourist industry.
- 21h30−22h30: Closing concert at a very special location in the city centre.
More information and practical details on the program for Thursday evening will be announced in a couple of weeks.
Photograph: Vanderhispallie, E. (2009, September 13). Sint-Godelieve Abbey, Bruges.
Friday 13 September 2019
- 9h30−10h00: Welcome - Highlights, Q&A and learnings (Anna Pollock and Michel Vandendriessche).
- 10h00−11h15: The transforming power of an event. Case Study: World War I in Flanders.
- 11h45−12h30: More information on this session will be announced soon.
- 13h30−14h45: Thinking differently, doing differently - Workshops (free choice): (1) Mobility, (2) Inclusivity and accessibily, (3) Events (4) Congresses, (5) Powerful stories, (6) Accomodations, (7) Tourist products, experiences and services, (8) Entrepreneurs and investors, (9) Encounters of locals and visitors, (10) Flourishing communities and destinations.
- 14h45−15h30: Changes: Transition from the old model to the new - Andrew Simms.
Michelle Holliday (The Age of Thrivability)
Peter De Wilde (CEO, Visit Flanders)